Wednesday 30 November 2011

A Vision of my ELA classroom, and how my students and I will experience oral and written language? How has this changed since my first blog entry?

     I can't say that my vision of my ELA classroom changed much from my first blog entry. However, my vision has expanded and filled in to include specific strategies in which to accomplish my goals. Not only do I have a more specific idea of how I can approach ELA, I have realized that ELA can encompass a whole range of mediums and technologies for exploration that I had not previously considered or even knew about. Naturally, writing this blog at the end of my ELA class, I have a more up-to-date idea of the possibilities for ELA today, more knowledge about ELA- period. The more knowledge and ideas I build for ELA lessons, the more I can appreciate the flexibility of the PLOs.
     I will revisit the main points of my first blog to explain exactly how I feel better prepared to accomplish them. First, I think incorporating KWLs (know, want to know, learned) discussed in class and the text would be a great way to incorporate previous student knowledge on a topic, allow students to connect the very real knowledge they have outside of the classroom, and facilitate authentic classroom discussions. It is also a good tool to assess initial class knowledge on a new topic, find out where interest is and promote that, and assess comprehension of the unit.
     In including critical literacy, I would try to educate students (particularly in the early grades) about all the different kinds of information that is available to them. This includes the various technologies available to them, such as blogging, podcasts, and voice threads. During the process of exploring these tools I would ensure they have the ability to safely navigate them. I would explore themes such as source, and make sure students understand the how information is shared today and what that means for them. As I discovered in the article I read about young children using the internet, children are accessing information, sometimes independently, outside of the classroom, and it is important that this is both supported through education and encouraged (creating a life-long learner). Beyond technology, I would try to include critical discussions about media, perhaps using point of view (so well utilized in the group lesson plans) to explore themes such as motive, purpose, and audience.
     In focusing on exploration and experimentation in my ELA classroom, I will try to convey that I am learning right along side of the students. I will model this open mindedness by exploring topics unfamiliar to me, such as poetry and voice threading, in attempts to create an atmosphere of mutual discovery and a community of learners and knowledge. In exploring poetry and technology in this class, I have gained an inkling of the wide range of topics and activities available for ELA classrooms.....  and perhaps now I will be more vigilant in actively seeking out new and exciting ways to teach ELA. Through various strategies that explore the PROCESS of writing, and listening to Robin Stevenson, I will stress to the students that everyone writes differently, and show them there are many ways to begin and continue the writing process.  Likewise, I will try to model oracy in how I read to students, in playing with language and reading, and being sensitive and prepared to accommodate all types of writers and readers.
     To encourage my ELA classroom to affect change, I will try to ensure we are having authentic discussions about relevant topics, allowing students to choose what is important to THEM, and allow them to pursue what is meaningful to them, even if it strays from my lesson plan. I will encourage students to articulate their opinions in writing and speaking FOR A PURPOSE. Just as I learned that Art should not be used as time for "busywork," ELA should not be "busywork" either, but rather a process of making connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment